U. Miami/Jackson’s Holtz ranks among top children’s hospitals

Holtz Children’s Hospital at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Medical Center is among the nation’s top children’s hospitals, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2012-13 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings, published online on June 5. The rankings feature 50 hospitals in each of 10 pediatric specialties.

Holtz was ranked in eight specialties this year: 26th in nephrology, 36th in diabetes and endocrinology, 38th in both gastroenterology and pulmonology, 39th in urology, 42nd in neonatology, 45th in cardiology and heart surgery, and 47th in orthopedics.

Most notably, Holtz earned recognition in two previously unranked specialties — pulmonology and orthopedics — and improved its ranking in three others: gastroenterology, diabetes and endocrinology, and urology.

In addition, U.S. News also ranked the University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in ophthalmology and the UM Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Medical Center’s ear, nose and throat program, and its nephrology and urology programs, as part of their 2011-12 “Best Hospitals” rankings. These programs collaborate with Holtz in providing child health services.

“To be recognized in eight specialties reflects the world-class excellence of the dedicated medical team at Holtz Children’s Hospital and the Miller School Department of Pediatrics,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, MD, senior vice president for Medical Affairs and dean of the UM Miller School of Medicine and CEO of the University of Miami Health System.

“We congratulate everyone” he added.

“Once again, Holtz Children’s Hospital is recognized for the unmatched medical expertise and compassionate care that its medical team provides to pediatric patients every day,” said Carlos A. Migoya, president and CEO of Jackson Health System. “This honor is a testament to our continued commitment to excellence.”

The Best Children’s Hospitals rankings pull together clinical and operational data from a lengthy survey completed by the hospitals. That survey asks hundreds of questions about survival rates, nurse staffing, subspecialist availability, and many more pieces of critical information. Data from the survey are combined with recommendations from pediatric specialists nationwide on the hospitals they consider best for children with challenging medical problems.

For more than 50 years, UM physicians have served children in South Florida and those who come from all over the world. Judy Schaechter, MD, professor and acting chair of pediatrics, said rising in this national ranking “demonstrates that the pediatric care provided by our doctors and the entire staff at Holtz is truly outstanding and recognized by our peers. The tireless efforts of our team continue to make strides against disease and allow children to more quickly return to health and enjoy childhood as they should.”

This year U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey results made up 75 percent of the rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists — 150 in each specialty — were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent.

The ranking can be reviewed online at <www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals> and also will appear in the U.S. News Best Hospitals 2013 print edition on newsstands in August.

Connect To Your Customers & Grow Your Business

Click Here

Print Friendly

Be the first to comment on "U. Miami/Jackson’s Holtz ranks among top children’s hospitals"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.