PRESENTED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES
Saturday, September 12, 2015 | Beginning at 9:30 a.m.
On Saturday, September 12, the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, in partnership with the local arts community, will celebrate its box office opening and the start of the South Florida arts season with ArtsLaunch2015, a day full of fun activities for the community, presented by American Airlines.
ArtsLaunch2015 is free, but requires an Access Pass to take part of the day’s activities. Access Passes can be reserved by calling the Arsht Center box office at 305-949-6722 or online atwww.arshtcenter.org. The passes provide patrons with access to a variety of ArtsLaunch2015 events on September 12, 2015.
“Each year, Miami’s arts and culture scene evolves to cater to our unique and increasingly dynamic population. This year we wanted to celebrate this diversity and the start of our milestone 10th anniversary season by bringing together the local arts community’s thought leaders and patrons,” said John Richard, president and CEO of the Arsht Center.
Starting at 10 a.m., the box office opening will be the first time a variety shows will be on sale to the public for the 10th anniversary season, including a series of commissioned works by the Center known as 10@10.
The all-day ArtsLaunch2015 celebration on Saturday, Sept. 12, will include the following events:
- Join leaders of the local arts community for ArtsTalk2025, a community cultural conversation moderated by the Knight Foundation, to discuss what Miami’s culture will look and feel like in 10 years. The conversation is from 9:30 to 11 a.m. in the Ziff Ballet Opera House.
- Stock up on the week’s groceries at the Farmers Market at the Thomson Plaza for the Arts from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Complimentary food! Sample the Center’s on-site restaurants, Café at Books & Books and BRAVA!, fall menu offerings for free from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. In addition, BRAVA! will have a $20 unlimited mimosas special available to all guests.
- Superheroes, gods and legends will gather for a Mini Comic Book Convention in honor of the Arsht Center and House Theatre of Chicago’s The Hammer Trinity(premiering April 2016), a multi-part, all-day theatrical adventure in the heroic, larger-than-life tradition of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Fans of all fantasy, steampunk and comic book characters are highly encouraged to don their most legendary costumes for a chance to win the Cosplay Contest’s cash prize starting at 3 p.m.The event will be held in partnership with UltraCon of South Florida in the Ziff Ballet Opera House from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- People looking for an opportunity to work part-time with those who share a commitment to a higher standard and passion for the arts should make sure to visit the Arsht Center Human Resources Job Fair in the Ziff Ballet Opera House lobby from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Bring your resume!
- From 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., the Center’s resident companies Florida Grand Opera, Miami City Ballet and New World Symphony as well as The Cleveland Orchestra will each offer the community interactive 45 minute workshops in the Ziff Ballet Opera House.
- Enjoy a walking tour of the Center’s Ziff Ballet Opera House and John S. and James L. Knight Concert Hall. Sponsored by American Airlines, the tours will be available at noon and 2:30 p.m.
- From noon to 4 p.m. in the Ziff Ballet Opera House, the whole family can enjoy face painting, coloring and crafts in celebration of the Arsht Center and Broadway Across America’s 10th season of Broadway in Miami!
- Sound Lab: Knight Concert Hall Acoustic Experience – Acoustical expert and former orchestra conductor Tateo Nakajima, a member of the international team that designed the renowned acoustics of the John S. and James L. Knight Concert Hall, will guide attendees through the Knight Concert Hall as they step onto the stage of “one of the great music halls in the country…in the world, really (Harry Connick, Jr.)” to learn the ins and outs of the space’s amazing audio capabilities. Tours available at 1:30 and 4 p.m.
- Miami-Made Movies – Three Miami-based documentaries will be screened in the Ziff Ballet Opera House. The movies include Hecho O Mano: Creativity in Exile (3:45 p.m.), Deep City: The Birth of the Miami Sound (4:30 p.m.) and Ayikodans Rise (6:15 p.m.), which chronicles Haiti’s premiere dance company after the 2010 earthquake, its bond with the Arsht Center and their shared commitment to Haitian culture.
- Culturist Sunset Cocktails hosted by Green Room Society – From 5 to 7 p.m., Culturists and Green Room Society members, the Arsht Center supporters who enhance the cultural equity of our great city, will host a cocktail happy hour on the Thomson Plaza for the Arts. Members will enjoy complimentary drinks, light bites and beats by DJ Jimbo Slice. Non-members are welcome to the happy hour with a $25 fee. Become a member today at www.arshtmembers.org.
ArtsLaunch2015 collaborators include: American Airlines, Arup (formerly Artec Consultants), Books & Books, Broadway Across America, The Cleveland Orchestra, Florida Grand Opera, Miami City Ballet, Miami Foundation, Knight Foundation, Spectra, UltraCon of South Florida and WLRN.
Further information and new updates on ArtsLaunch2015 can be found at www.arshtcenter.org/artslaunch
All programs, artists, ticket prices, availability, dates and times are subject to change without notice. Additional fees may apply. Visit www.arshtcenter.org for up-to-date information, details and performance.
The Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County is made possible by the public support of the Miami-Dade County Mayor and the Board of County Commissioners, the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Tourist Development Council and the City of Miami Omni Community Redevelopment Agency, as well as the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture. The Adrienne Arsht Center also receives generous support from individuals, corporations and local, state and national foundations.