The American Red Cross South Florida Region held its 22nd annual Sara Hopkins Woodruff Spectrum Awards For Women, one of the most prestigious women’s awards in South Florida, on Thursday, Feb. 5, at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove.
Some 300 community leaders attended the Spectrum luncheon and awards reception that began at 11 a.m. with a silent auction as well as an exhibit featuring Shapoh, designer millinery, and D.S. Fashion Jewels.
At 12:30 p.m., the honorees and all of the guests enjoyed the luncheon and awards presentation emceed by Emmy Award-winning television journalist Ileana Bravo. Alfred Sanchez, executive director of the American Red Cross Greater Miami and The Keys Chapter, addressed the crowd.
The honorary chair was Swanee DiMare and the philanthropic chair was Penny Stamps. Romero Britto donated his original artwork, American Woman, for the Spectrum Awards.
The Spectrum Awards For Women recognizes outstanding women whose efforts have made significant contributions to the quality of life in South Florida. “Spectrum” refers to women’s impact across the broad scope of community life as well as the spectrum of cultures represented in the community. These women represent the humanitarian principles of American Red Cross, including Humanity, Impartiality, Independence, Unity, Neutrality, and Voluntary Service.
“We are honored to recognize the remarkable achievements of these women,” said Phillis Oeters, president of the Council of Chairmen of the Spectrum Awards. “Their dedicated work to improving our community and help others is making an extraordinary impact in South Florida and in medical research throughout the world.”
The 2015 honorees are:
• Florida Blue Philanthropy Award, Tracey Berkowitz;
• Trish and Dan Bell Chairmen’s Award, Becky Roper Matkov;
• Cervera Real Estate Ambassador Award, Marianna K. Baum, PhD, MS;
• Bank of America Cultural Award, Karen Peterson Corash;
• Royal Caribbean International Education Award, Virginia Emmons;
• Mercantil Commercebank Entrepreneurial Award, Laura Kozelouzek;
• Baptist Health South Florida Healthcare Award, Tina Carroll-Scott, MD, FAAP;
• White & Case LLP Hospitality Award, Carolyn Cauceglia;
• The Ethel and W. George Kennedy Family Foundation Volunteerism Award, Diana Brooks;
• Barbara Nelson Red Cross Service Award, Elena Luca;
• Margaret and Rick Tonkinson Community Service Award, Stephanie Sayfie Aagaard, and
• Swanee and Paul DiMare Youth Award, Maite Iribarren.
For more information, visit redcross.org or on Twitter at @SFLRedCross.