Begin the first week of Women’s History month in March at the 27th annual In the Company of Women Awards Ceremony, presented by Macy’s, highlighting some of the most influential women in South Florida.
Within 10 categories, honorees range from an editorial cartoonist whose illustrations challenged a corrupt government, to a prestigious doctor who for the past year has braved the Ebola front lines to treat those infected.
The awards ceremony, hosted by the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade; Miami- Dade Commission for Women, and Miami- Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces, will be on Mar. 5, 6-9 p.m., at the Coral Gables Country Club, 990 Alhambra Circle.
Tickets are $60 advance purchase, $65 at the door, and include pre-event reception with drinks, hors d’oeuvres and silent auction, followed by the awards ceremony. WPLG Channel 10 Meteorologist Betty Davis will serve as emcee. Contributions of $250 and above also afford young women an opportunity to attend the event.
For more information or for tickets, visit www.miamidade.gov/parks/company-ofwomen.asp. Proceeds support parks and parks programming, including the Women’s Park and the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (GEM) Summer Arts Camp.
Meet the women who have influenced progress within their respective fields, from Arts and Entertainment to Sports and Athletics. These outstanding women will be honored for their contributions to the Miami-Dade County community.
• Mayor’s Pioneer Award — Sheila Duffy-Lehrman, Tropic Survival Advertising & Marketing;
• Arts & Entertainment — Kalyn Chapman James, Art Loft and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts;
• Business & Economics — Antoinette Patterson, One World Learning Center;
• Education & Research — Malou C. Harrison, Miami Dade College, North Campus;
• Government & Law (Elected) — Honorable Bertila Soto, Chief Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court;
• Government & Law (Non-Elected) — Iraida R. Mendez-Cartaya, Miami-Dade County Public Schools;
• Health & Human Services — Aileen M. Marty, MD, FACP, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Florida International University;
• Sports & Athletics — Dr. Janice Bell, St. Thomas University;
• Posthumous Award — Anne Mergen, Editorial Cartoonist, and
• Community Spirit — Cassandra Theramene, Scholars Today, Leaders of Tomorrow Inc.
In the Company of Women is made possible by the support of generous sponsors including: Macy’s, Florida International University, Miami-Dade Commission for Women, Coconut Grove Bank, Miami- Dade County Vice Chairman Esteban Bovo Jr., and Miami-Dade County District Four Commissioner Sally A. Heyman.
For information about Miami-Dade County Parks call 3-1-1, or visit www.miamidade.gov/parks.