The City of Coral Gables is purchasing five properties to be used for passive parks in order to provide additional green spaces in the city’s neighborhoods. The properties will require minimal development and will be transformed as parks after obtaining the input from neighbors.
More than 20 properties were considered for acquisition as part of the city’s Neighborhood Renaissance Program. City staff searched for properties in neighborhood locations that were safe and accessible, without the need to cross a busy road to reach a park. Parks needed to be sufficient in size to accommodate the surrounding area and located where there was a demand for open space. Community acceptance was also an important factor.
The city has entered into contracts to purchase the following properties:
• 807 Catalonia Ave., corner of Catalonia Avenue and Anderson Road, 13,464 square feet;
• 241 Sarto Ave., corner of Sarto Avenue and Salzedo Street, 5,000 square feet;
• 937-939 Majorca Ave., corner of Majorca Avenue and Granada Boulevard, 14,314 square feet;
• 6540 Marlin Drive, corner of Marlin Drive and Bonito Drive, 19,025 square feet, and
• 1047 Venetian Ave., fronting Cordova Street, 8,250 square feet.
The City of Coral Gables is making this $3.6 million investment in order to improve the quality of life in city neighborhoods.