Hundreds of well wishers visited the newly opened Coral Gables Museum throughout the day on Sunday, Oct. 10.
In the morning, the public was welcomed with numerous activities for children and families, and everybody enjoyed the self-guided tours of the 1939 building in Downtown Coral Gables, which was the city’s original Police and Fire station.
The building’s conversion architect Jorge L. Hernandez gave a standing-roomonly lecture in the afternoon about the transformation of this historic building into the new museum.
A ribbon cutting ceremony took place at 5 p.m. with the participation of Mayor Don Slesnick; Vice Mayor Bill Kerdyk Jr., and Commissioners Maria Anderson, Ralph Cabrera Jr. and Chip Withers. Also present were U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Miami-Dade County Commissioners Rebeca Sosa and Carlos A. Gimenez.
George Kakouris, chair of the Coral Gables Museum Board of Trustees spoke during the ceremony about the generous contributions made by many, especially from Robert and Marian Fewell who were the largest private donors. Former Coral Gables Mayor Raul Valdes-Fauli also spoke about the importance to name the Valdes- Fauli Archive in honor of his late father.
Finally, Commissioner Wayne “Chip” Withers gave a heartfelt speech about the final realization of his long-time dream of building a museum where future generations can visit and learn what Coral Gables is all about.