The City of Coral Gables has implemented a new initiative designating the main lobby of the Coral Gables Public Safety/Police Building, 2801 Salzedo St., as a “safe haven” where people are able to meet to conduct their Internet negotiated transactions, such as those done via Craigslist or other online marketplaces.
The Coral Gables Police Department (CGPD) encourages individuals seeking to conduct a transaction for goods negotiated by way of the Internet or printed classified ads to have the meetings at this location to reduce the likelihood of a criminal act being committed. The CGPD will not be involved in coordinating these meetings, but the lobby can be used for these transactions any day of the week between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
The following materials and/or transactions are not allowed inside the Police Department main lobby:
1. Firearms, weapons or ammunition;
2. Drugs or drug paraphernalia;
3. Stolen property;
4. Hazardous chemicals or materials;
5. Large/bulky items such as furniture, bicycles, etc.;
6. Social networking or personal service type business, meeting, dating, escort, etc.;
7. Any transaction lasting more than 15 minutes, and
8. Any other items, materials or goods that are illegal to sell or exchange, under applicable laws
All individuals involved will be required to check in as a “temporary visitor,” which includes providing proof of identification. For more information contact the Coral Gables Police Department Front Desk at 305-460-5408.