Temple Judea, one of the largest Reform congregations in Miami, will debut a historical exhibit titled “Building a Sacred Jewish Community in the City Beautiful” at the Coral Gables Museum starting Sept. 5 and continuing through Nov. 2.
Curated by Bill Iverson and designed by SimpleFly Creative, in consultation with Temple Judea staff and volunteers, the exhibit will feature video, historical photographs, documents and sacred objects. The exhibit will tell the story of the city’s earliest Jewish community’s 66-year journey from a small building in a residential neighborhood to its landmark-designated campus at 5500 Granada Blvd., where it is a valued contributor to the richness of the surrounding community of Coral Gables.
Established by a cluster of pioneering families who secured land in 1948 to build the Coral Gables Jewish Center, Temple Judea has grown to more than 600 households and continues to serve as the only Reform congregation in Coral Gables.
Since its founding, Temple Judea has been committed to honoring the ancient traditions of Judaism, while acknowledging the need for the synagogue to remain relevant in an ever-changing secular world. World-renowned architect Morris Lapidus reflected Temple Judea’s chosen roles as a House of Worship, House of Study and House of Community Assembly in the design of the building for the current home on the corner of US1 and Granada Boulevard. Built in 1966, the building recently was awarded historic landmark status by the City of Coral Gables.