The City of Coral Gables Police Department is thanking the community for its incredible support in taking a stand against crime during recent weeks.
Thanks to the numerous tips received from residents, the Coral Gables Police force has been able to conduct numerous arrests in several cases since September.
“The holiday season is a special time for everyone, but also a time when busy people become more vulnerable to theft and other crimes,” said interim Police Chief Ed Hudak in his message posted on the city’s website. “It is important that you remember to stay safe and vigilant.”
The Coral Gables Police Department is asking for community involvement to help local law enforcement by following these crime-free holiday season safety tips:
• If you’re traveling during the holidays and plan to be away from home, have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspaper, and call the Gables Police Department at 305-442-1600 to request a residential security check. This service is free of charge and helps the police know when to patrol around your home to check for any suspicious activity.
• Indoor and outdoor lights at home should be on an automatic timer
• When dashing out of your home for the holiday season, make sure your garage door is closed to prevent thefts at home. Also, check that all doors and windows are locked to prevent break-ins.
• When shopping after dark, remember to park in well-lit areas and shop with friends or relatives because there is safety in numbers. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Always lock all vehicle doors and never keep holiday packages and valuable items in plain view inside of your vehicle.
• When you go shopping, be extra careful if you carry a wallet or purse as they are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas.
• If you’re attending a holiday party, plan on having a designated driver. Don’t drink and drive and don’t text and drive for your safety and for those on the road.
For information, contact the Coral Gables Police Department Community Affairs Unit at 305-460-5403.