The decision over dinner time is a challenge many families face every night. For most, the dilemma lies in choosing a quick and easy recipe option or a complicated and delicious one. By can you have both? Late last year Publix Super Markets created a contest to find out. They called on customers to submit their best quick, delicious, and easy chicken recipes in the Publix Aprons® Simple Meals Recipe Contest. Over 2,400 customers participated but it was a South Florida shopper who took home the grand prize. Doral resident, Naylet LaRochelle’s Peachy Ranchero Chicken with Sweet Chili-Lime Cornbread scored high marks in all three areas of consideration for the judges – taste, ease of prep and cleanup and creativity. Visit your local Publix’s Aprons kiosk to sample the Grand Prize-winning recipe April 7th-10th. For more on Publix Apron’s recipes, visit http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning .
- Preheat grill, begin chili-lime butter (10 minutes)
- Prepare cornbread and chicken (15 minutes)
- Prepare peach salsa, assemble; serve (5 minutes)
PEACHY RANCHERO CHICKEN WITH SWEET CHILI-LIME CORNBREAD
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 lime, for zest
2 medium fresh (or frozen) peaches
7.5-oz Bakery homestyle cornbread
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 chicken breast cutlets (about 1 lb)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cups fresh medium salsa
1 (15-oz) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained/rinsed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- Cut butter into small pieces; place in medium bowl to soften. Zest/grate lime peel (no white; 1 teaspoon). Peel peaches and chop coarsely (2 cups).
- Preheat panini press (or grill pan) on medium-high. Cut cornbread in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 equal wedges. Stir lime zest and chili powder into butter until blended; spread over both sides of cornbread. Grill bread in press for 1–2 minutes (or grill 1–2 minutes on each side) until toasted; repeat with remaining wedges.
- Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season chicken with salt. Place oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 3–5 minutes on each side or until browned and chicken is 165°F. Remove chicken from pan.
Add salsa and beans to same skillet and bring to a boil. Stir in peaches and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5–6 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Meanwhile, chop cilantro and slice avocado.
Place chicken on serving platter; top with sauce, cilantro, and avocado. Serve with cornbread.