With the streets once again lined with school children all eager for their first day’s back, drivers are cautioned to take steps to prevent accidents to and from respective pickups. The City of Doral’s Police Department and School Administration have outlined new rule in the Back to School Traffic Orientation to keep the roadways clear and prevent heavy traffic hazards.
Parents are encouraged to follow these rules to ease the flow of travel around the school area. The top priority is that parents get their students to school on time to prevent a flow of late drivers that can potentially clog up the roadways around the campus.
While traffic may occur due to school zone timing and parent drop offs, please allow for extra time during the first two weeks. These two weeks are considered the busiest, most hectic period of the school year. Due to this, speeding is discouraged in any of the designated school zones, as the 15 MPH limit is heavily enforced. The hours and speeds are available from signs posted around the premises.
There will be marked police vehicles used to deter any violators, and school officials will aid as witnesses to catch offenders. Officers will be available on the premises to regulate traffic flow and drivers.
Drivers are also cautioned to stay off cellphones or avoid being distracted while on the road near school property, as this can cause a risk to other cars or students on walkways. Parents are not allowed to stop their cars on busy roadways to pick up their children, as this will result in blocking of the causeway.
They are also cautioned not to park to the side of the road and wait for their children before the end of the day bell rings. This rule is in place as some of the schools in Doral are near business and private property, and as such drivers are subject to removal at their own risk.
Students are also subject to new rules, related to cross walks, street crossing and distractions to and from campus. Students are not allowed to cross mid-street as this causes the risk for traffic accidents, and must use designated crosswalks.
Otherwise, we hope for a safe school year for both drivers and students alike. Thank you for your cooperation from the City of Doral Police Department and Doral School Administration.
See the full list of rules below:
- Do not stop on the road to pick up or drop off any students or passengers, please use the designated and pick up and drop off areas. There will always be a Police Officer in a Marked Police Vehicle enforcing this Florida Statue. School Staff also assists us in locating any potential violators.
- Students are not allowed to cross at mid- street. Students will know where it is safe to cross. Encourage to use marked cross walks with school crossing guards.
- PLEASE STAY OFF YOUR PHONES WHEN YOU ARE NEAR THE SCHOOL! We need ALL drivers to be alert when driving near this school or ANY school.
- PLEASE DRIVE WITHIN THE SPEED LIMIT. The Speed limit during school arrivals and dismissals is 15 MPH. NOT 25, NOT 20, NOT 18. It is 15 MPH and we strictly enforce this Florida Statue. The hours are posted on the numerous signs along the streets.
- Please remember that this school may be within a business district or residential area. The Doral Police Department along with the School Administration have developed the safest and effective traffic pattern for picking up and dropping off your children with the highest degree of safety always as our top priority. Please adhere to this traffic pattern and understand that we ask for patience from all of you.
- DO NOT PARK OR WAIT FOR YOUR CHILDREN IN ANY OF THE BUSINESS PARKING LOTS OR RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAYS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE SCHOOLS. It is private property so you are parking at your own risk.
- PLEASE WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS AT ALL TIMES AND ENSURE THAT ALL PASSENGERS IN YOUR VEHICLE ARE WEARING THEIR SEAT BELTS.
- PLEASE BE PATIENT, ALLOW YOURSELF EXTRA TIME DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF SCHOOL
For more information, please visit the Doral Police Department Website.