Commissioner Carlos A. Gimenez unveiled “Miami Elks Lodge Avenue” on Saturday, Mar. 4, naming a portion of SW 102nd Avenue between SW 70th and SW 74th streets in honor of the group.
The Miami Elks are members of a local fraternal organization dedicated to serving the community through benevolent programs. The ceremony took place outside of the Miami Elks Lodge at 10301 SW 72 St.
The Miami Elks Lodge No. 948 was instituted in 1905 and in 1912 the first lodge was purchased at the corner of NE Third Avenue and Flagler Street. In 1949, the Miami Elks Lodge was the largest in the state of Florida, with 1,775 members. Currently, it has slightly less than 1,200 members and is very active, with numerous events throughout the year, both social and charitable in nature.