From winter camps – to festive light displays – to reading a book with Santa, Palmetto Bay residents can enjoy and celebrate the holidays at several nearby public parks.
Need something to keep the kids busy during the school break? Send ‘em to camp!
- Discovery Camp at the Deering Estate at Cutler in Palmetto Bay introduces children, ages 6-15, to South Florida’s rich history and habitats through interactive exhibits and hands-on activities, outdoor treks and field trips to other locations. The program makes use of the archeological, natural and historic setting of this bayside estate, which was once home to Miami pioneer Charles Deering and the hunting and fishing grounds of ancient Tequesta Indians. For details, go to http://www.deeringestate.org/pages/KidsCampFieldTrips.aspx
- The Deering Estate also welcomes guests of all ages for story time with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. Mrs. Claus will be reading some classic holiday stories next to the enchanting Christmas Tree in the Stone House Ballroom. Children can have their picture professionally taken with Santa for an additional fee, or parents can bring their cameras and take their own photos for free. After story time, children will participate in an arts & crafts activity. “Story Time with Santa” takes place on Saturday, December 18, from 10am to noon. For more info, go to
- The Parks and Recreation Department of Palmetto Bay is planning their 1st annual, “Holiday by the Bay” at Ludovici Park, December 18, from 4 to 9pm. Look for fun rides, holiday music, and activities for the kids. For more info, call Palmetto Bay village office at 305-259-1234.
- Want a unique and different Christmas break idea for the kids? How about Horseback Riding in Homestead? Coconut Palm Equestrian Center (located at 24650 Southwest 167 Avenue) is offering “Christmas Break with the Horses” for the kids! Camp is held daily from 9am to 3pm, Monday through Wednesday, December 20-22 and Monday through Wednesday, December 27-29. Price per day: $80. Price for 2 days: $150. Price for 3 days: $210. Price for ALL 6 days: Just $400. *Campers should bring their lunch each day, as well as sunscreen and lots of water to drink. Coconut Palm provides horse, all tack, arts and crafts, and information sheets. To sign up for “Christmas Break with the Horses,” contact Julie Grennan by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . A $25 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your reservation. The deposit may be dropped off at Coconut Palm Equestrian Center (24650 SW 167 Avenue) or mailed to Coconut Palm Equestrian Center, PO Box 700912, Miami, FL 33170. Hurry! This unique experience fills up quickly!
- Everyone’s favorite zoo, Zoo Miami (formerly Miami MetroZoo) gets into the holiday spirit with their annual “Zoo Lights” celebration, Dec 17 to 30. For 12 nights, come and enjoy animal-shaped lights, free 3D glasses to view them, holiday music, hot chocolate, cookies, and more. Want more? Bring the whole family for dinner with Santa and Diego! Get all details at http://www.miamimetrozoo.com/articles.asp?Id=567&categoryId=1
- Active kids wanting to have fun? Jane Forman Tennis Academy offers camp over Christmas Break! Registration is open NOW! Winter Holiday Tennis, Sports, & Golf Camp….and Soccer and Flag Football camp now available, too! Coral Reef Park , Killian Green’s Golf Course, Alper JCC, December 20th-December31st (2 one week sessions). Full and Half Days, transportation and before and after care are available (Daily rates available), Boys and Girls 3-16 years. Register online at https://www.janeformantennis.net/holidaycamp.html