It is no secret that cultural arts can be costly, and there are very few cultural venues and ventures that exist on ticket sales alone. So why do sponsors step up and help the arts thrive? BECAUSE ART MATTERS! Cultural arts help economies thrive, help individuals connect with each other and across cultures, and educate and enrich societies. At the Gardens, we are all about art and culture, whether it be a concert, a theatrical performance or the preservation of our cypress slough (yes, we consider our botanical stage to be art as well). We present over 70 performances, festivals and programs each year, we tend to over 1000 species of plants both native and exotic, and exhibit the work of a multitude of artists each year that provide inspirational and educational sustenance, anchor our community, help to create jobs and complement school curricula. We believe the neighborhood stage can be just as important as a world class museum or orchestra in its value to the community, in the lives of its residents, and in the education of its young people. On a global scale, the arts speak to us in a universal language that provides pathways to greater cultural understanding.
When our sponsors support The Gardens, they make an investment in our community. It’s an investment in our children to ensure that they have viable and vibrant arts education programs in a safe and pristine botanical environment; it’s an investment in the economy of our community that attracts visitors who spend their dollars at our local restaurants and shops when they visit the Gardens to walk our botanical paths or see a show; it’s an investment in our area’s young children or teens to encourage creative thinking through visits to our sensory garden, seeing or performing in a local production or participating in a visiting artist workshop; and further, it’s an investment in a rich and varied quality of life.
Because ticket sales and admissions cover only a third of our annual expenses, our sponsors, grant providers and funders’ contributions help the Village to cover the costs that ticket sales and venue rentals cannot.
We rely on various sources of support to offer high quality programming year after year, bring new experiences to our audiences, create quality arts education programs, and help to seed The Gardens as a venue for many free community events and programs that benefit both our local residents, as well as underserved populations in the greater community of South Florida.
With that in mind we graciously tip our hat to the generous folks who have recognized the cultural value that the Gardens brings to the community we serve and it is for that reason we have chosen to write a tribute column that honors and recognizes the guardian angels who help sustain our Gardens and the botanical, cultural and educational programing we provide.
There are many sources for financial support that helps to sustain our botanical beauty, cultural initiatives and help to preserve the rich historical property that we are.
1. The Garden Fund is a group of dedicated people whose mission it is to meet the botanical needs of our public green spaces, particularly at Pinecrest Gardens. With monies raised through donations, family foundations and fundraising events, the Garden Fund has initiated and financed several botanical enhancement projects in Pinecrest Gardens.
2. The Pinecrest Garden Club’s goal is to encourage good landscaping, excellence in horticulture, talent in artistic design, and interest in our environment and ecology. As part of their mission, they have demonstrated support to the Gardens with landscaping projects, the donation of tools and appliances and have hosted educational initiatives for the community.
3. The Community Foundation of Pinecrest’s mission is to raise money to support the arts in Pinecrest Public Schools with a yearly fundraiser featuring student and professional performers together on the Banyan Bowl Stage.
4. The Villagers is an organization dedicated to the restoration and preservation of historic sites. They have provided much needed funding to help rebuild and restore our Historic Entrance and Hammock Pavilion.
We recognize the Funding Institutions who keep the fires of our cultural arts activities burning.
1. The Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs has generously supported the Gardens through their Community Grants, Tourist Development Grants and Capital Grants programs benefiting our festival and performing arts programming, technical equipment upgrades and the restoration of our cultural facilities.
2. The State of Florida Department of Cultural Affairs has generously supported both general cultural arts programming and has provided us with a cultural capital grant that will rebuild and restore the historic path shelters throughout the Gardens, a major capital undertaking being done this year.
3. The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation has recognized Pinecrest Gardens with two successive awards for the Knight Arts Challenge; the first for our Jazz and Gen-Next Jam series and the second, to create a unique monumental art installation at the Gardens in 2017 by renowned environmental artist Patrick Dougherty.
4. The National Endowment for the Arts is funding the Gardens for the first time this coming year with a grant to support the Jazz and Gen- Next Jam series.
1. Steinway Piano Gallery sponsors the Gardens with a 7’ Steinway Grand Piano and a Boston Upright Piano.
2. South Motors has been the title sponsor of the South Motors Jazz Series and South Motors Gen-Next Jazz at Pinecrest Gardens for four successive years allowing us to present world-class jazz artists on the Banyan Bowl Stage to sold-out audiences.
3. FirstBank Florida has been the sponsor of our Holiday Festival and presents a world-class Flamenco performance on the Banyan Bowl stage each year.
4. Williamson Automotive Group has sponsored our beloved Eggstravaganza festival bringing joy to thousands of children with an incredible Spring Egg Hunt for five years and more to come.
5. Dadeland Marriott Hotel provides rooms for our jazz artists from out of town.
6. Miami Dadeland Hotel provides rooms for both jazz artists throughout the season and fine art artists and tourists attending our Fine Arts Festival.
Media Sponsors partner with us in a variety of events helping us with special rates and packaging to assure maximum exposure at minimum costs.
1. Miami Herald
2. WDNA Radio
3. WKIS Country Radio
4. Community Newspapers
We could never have achieved the high level of artistic proficiency and the breadth of programming at the Gardens without the amazing support of those mentioned above. However, we would be remiss if we didn’t thank our visitors and patrons, the Village of Pinecrest’s elected officials and our Village Manager who have not only recognized the value of all that we strive to do, but have also provided us with continuous and unwavering support for the cultural and educational initiatives the Gardens has to offer. There but for the Grace of God…
For information visit www.pinecrestgardens.org.