We’ve all heard tragic stories of pets that were accidentally poisoned by everyday products. While some seem obvious (rat poison, paint, pain relievers, etc.), there are many household items that you many have never considered harmful. For instance, did you know that deodorant is poisonous? What about vitamins? Here’s a list of other toxic items that you may not know about:
• Cocoa Mulch
• Wood shavings
• Poisonous household plants including azalea, aloe, hydrangea, honeysuckle, and birds of paradise
• Cleaning products such as Swiffer and fabric softener have been known to cause allergic reactions in pets
• Gum containing Xylitol
So, what is safe?
Use all natural cleaning products, especially when you have a dog that likes to eat things off the floor. Also, keep plants out of your pets’ reach, store cleaning products securely and make garbage and recycling bins inaccessible to your pets. Still, the best rule of thumb is to remember that what may be safe for you may not be safe for your pet, so always keep on an eye your pets to make sure they aren’t getting into things that could wind up hurting them.
If your dog is accidentally poisoned, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. Keep this information readily available in a visible place in case of an emergency. Be prepared to provide the name of the poison your animal was exposed to, the amount, how long since they were exposed to the poison, symptoms they are showing, as well as the species, breed, age, sex and weight of your pet. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to credit card, so also have payment information available.
For more information on dangerous household items visit aspca.com.
Additional information on Paws 4 You Rescue is available at paws4you.org. You can also come by to see us at any of our adoption events, including the Colonial Palms PetSmart, 13621 S. Dixie Hwy., every Sunday from 11 a.m to 4 p.m.