He served tirelessly in numerous community organizations and on several municipal boards, held memberships in various South Miami organizations including the Community Action Agency and the Alliance for Youth and served as a South Miami City Commissioner from 1978 through 1986. His life was dedicated to facilitating economic development opportunities and establishing career opportunities for the Community Redevelopment Agency resident youth population.
Mr. Bowman will be fondly remembered for his many contributions to improve the entire South Miami Community.
The SMCRA Board has subsequently established a scholarship dedicated in his name. This scholarship is awarded on an annual basis to eligible South Miami CRA resident students. The total funding amount available for the 2010-2011 Academic Year is $15,000.
Awards shall be made at the discretion of the SMCRA Board to students exhibiting a strong desire for self improvement through education. The SMCRA Board reserves the right to select one or more recipients with the total available funding to be distributed amongst the selected recipients. Scholarship funding may be utilized for tuition assistance, or related books/supplies for vocational or higher level educational.
The deadline for receiving this year’s scholarship applications is 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2011. In order to be considered for funding awards, a fully completed application and required documents must be received by the deadline. Applications can be picked up in the SMCRA Office or downloaded from the city’s web page at CityofSouthMiami.net.
Following the deadline, incomplete applications will not be accepted for funding consideration. Completed application packages must include the following information:
COMPLETED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
• State of Florida or School Issued Identification
• Proof of Residency in the South Miami Community Redevelopment Area; (Deed, Lease Agreement, Tax Return, Utility Bill, Etc.)
• Letter of Acceptance from an Accredited Educational Institution or Trade School. (This item is Required for Entering Freshman Only);
• A Letter of Recommendation on Official Letterhead from an Employer, Faculty Member or School Counselor;
• Official copy of the High School or GED transcript;
• A copy of Class Schedule for the 2011- 2012 Academic Year;
• A copy of your High School Diploma or GED Equivalent;
• Breakdown of Tuition Costs and or Other School Related Expenses
• Completed Applications must be submitted from May 1st and no later than June 30th
• An affidavit must be submitted to verify proof of residency of the applicant
• Applicants must have a grade point average of 2.0 from prior academic year (This applies for both high school and current college students.)