James T. Bowman, Sr. was a lifelong South Miami resident and a community leader. He served tirelessly in numerous community organizations and on several municipal boards. He also held memberships in various South Miami organizations including the Community Action Agency and the Alliance for Youth. He served as a South Miami City Commissioner from 1978 through 1986. His life was dedicated to facilitating economic development opportunities and establishing career opportunities for African American youth. He will be fondly remembered for his many contributions to improve the South Miami Community. The SMCRA Board has since established a scholarship dedicated in his name. This scholarship will be awarded on an annual basis to eligible South Miami CRA resident students. The total funding available for the 2014-2015 Academic Year is $10,000. Awards shall be made at the discretion of the SMCRA Board to students exhibiting a strong desire for self improvement through education. The SMCRA Board reserves the right to select more than one recipient with the total available funding to be shared amongst the selected recipients. Scholarship funding may be utilized by selected award for tuition assistance and related books/supplies for either vocational or higher level educational training.
The deadline for receiving this year’s scholarship applications is 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30, 2014. To be considered for funding consideration, a fully completed application must be received by the application deadline.
Applications can be picked up in the SMCRA Office.
All scholarship application packages must include the following information:
• Completed Scholarship Application;
• Proof of Residency in the South Miami Community Redevelopment Area;
• Letter of Acceptance from an Accredited Educational Institution or Trade School. (This item is Required for Entering Freshman Only);
• A Letter of Recommendation on Official Letterhead from an Employer, Faculty Member or School Counselor;
• Official copy of the High School or GED transcript;
• A copy of Class Schedule for the 2014-2015 Academic Year;
• A copy of your High School Diploma of GED Equivalent;
• Breakdown of Tuition Costs and or Other School Related Expenses
• Applications must be submitted from June 2nd and no later than June 30th
• An affidavit must be submitted to verify proof of residency of the applicant
• Applicants must have a grade point average of 2.0 from prior academic year (This applies for both high school and current college students.