From the Desk of Vice Mayor Mack
Residents and Business Owners: Let us protect ourselves from mosquito bites and the disease they may carry. Stop mosquitoes from living and multiplying around your home or business. Consider the following tips:
• Drain Standing Water: Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots or any other containers where sprinkler or rain water has collected.
• Empty and Clean: Birdbaths and pets’ water bowls at least once or twice a week.
• Protect: Boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
• Maintain: Water balance (pool chemistry) or swimming pools. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.
• Cover Your Skin With Clothing: If you must be outside when mosquitoes are active, cover up. Wear shoes, socks, long paints, and long sleeves.
• Repellent: Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing. Always use repellents according to the label. Experts say repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, and IR3535 are effective. Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months.
• Cover Doors and Windows with Screens: Keep mosquitoes out of your house. Repair broken screens on windows, doors, porches and patios.
If you need assistance or more information, please call City Hall at 954.989.2688. If you need any of my help, you may call me at 954.889.4156.