Two Miami Christian School coaches recently were honored as “Coach of the Year” for their respective sport for Miami-Dade County in Class 5A-2A. Coach Chris Cuadra was named for baseball, while Coach Juan Cordona received the honor for basketball. Both men led their respective teams to state championships this year.
Senior Neftali Alvarez, was one of a number of players from MCS to make the “All Dade” team by The Miami Herald. He also received the prestigious awards of “Boys’ Basketball Player of the Year, 5A-2A” and “Male Athlete of the Year, 5A-2A” by The Miami Herald. Neftali will be attending Fairfield University in the fall.
Graduate Alina Andrews (Valedictorian of the Class of 2015), who is attending Johns Hopkins University on scholarship, will be spending her summer at Columbia University doing cancer research. Graduate Abel Victores (Salutatorian of the Class of 2017) who is attending the University of Miami’s School of Architecture on Scholarship, will be working in the Dean’s Office at UM.
Miami Christian School Baseball Seniors were offered scholarships by a number of universities and will be attending college this fall on scholarship, with the exception of Diego Fernandez who chose to enlist with the U.S. Coast Guard.
The offers were:
• Luis Alcantara – Bellevue University, Shorter University, and Western Nebraska;
• Eduardo Castillo – ASA, Bellevue University, Hillsborough Community College, Shorter University, University of North Carolina, and Western Nebraska;
• Mario Fernandez – Florida International University, Miami Dade College, and St. Thomas University;
• Luis Machado – Flagler College and Palm Beach Atlantic University;
• Jerson Morales – Western Nebraska; and
• David Peralta – Andrew College, Cincinnati Christian University, and Point Park University.
Graduation was held on May 29 at Florida International University. Coverage on that will come in the July edition of the Doral Tribune.
Registration is open for the fall. For information, visit www.miamichristian.org or call 305 221-7754 (ext. 773).