Each November, Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) celebrates Florida Family Engagement in Education Month.
As we honor the crucial role that families play in their children’s education, we continue to focus on building strong school-home relationships to ensure every student can be successful. Research shows that students do better — whether it’s better attendance, higher grades, or improved self-esteem — when families and teachers work together as equal partners.
Staying connected with your child’s teachers is vitally important, and below are some suggestions for becoming actively engaged throughout the school year:
• Check your school’s website or social media accounts for general updates;
• Log into the M-DCPS Parent Portal once a week to check your child’s attendance and academic progress;
• Download the Dadeschools Mobile App for convenient and helpful ways to stay connected;
• Register to be a School Volunteer at your child’s school by visiting M-DCPS School Volunteers (engagemiamidade.net), and
• Consider joining a parent organization like PTA or a booster club.
During this month, the school district also will highlight ways parents can stay engaged in their children’s education. We invite you to check out one of many resources to support you as a parent and/or family member:
• Follow daily tips on how to better support your child via Twitter and Instagram @mdcpscommunity or visit www.engagemiamidade.net/e-tips-for-parents.
• Register for a webinar on topics such as, M-DCPS’ Read-at-Home Plan; The Children’s Trust Book Club in collaboration with the Children’s Trust, or Mindfulness Practices for Families offered by The Parent Academy at https://parentacademymiami.com/.
• If your child attends a Title I school, learn more about the resources to support you and your child. Just click on the flyers available in English, Spanish and Haitian Creole.
Lastly, if you missed Open House and have not yet had the chance to meet your child’s teacher this year, consider reaching out this month to schedule a conference. Teachers and administrators share your goal of academic success for your child and look forward to building strong, lasting relationships with you. At M-DCPS, the possibilities are infinite when families and educators work together.