On April 13 at Jungle Island, the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce hosted its annual Elayne Weisburd Excellence in Education Awards. The purpose of the luncheon is to recognize educators in the Miami Beach Senior High School Feeder Pattern that have gone the extra mile at their job.
The winner of the 2016 Elayne Weisburd Excellence in Education Award was Chris Dreeson from Miami Beach Senior High School and the runner up was Corinne Boulos from Biscayne Elementary School
The nine finalists were:
• Robin Porter Alvarez from Nautilus Middle School
• Avrill Prince from South Pointe Elementary
• Doris Cruz from Fienberg Fisher
• Corinne Boulos from Biscayne Elementary
• Lawrence Rodriguez from North Beach Elementary
• Nadine Francis from Ruth K Broad Bay Harbor
• Christopher Dreeson from Miami Beach Senior High School
• Glenys H. Vincent from Treasure Island Elementary
• Peter Monck from Miami Beach Adult and Community Education Center
A special award was given to Dr. Karmenchu Santana-Vega, who is retiring from Biscayne Elementary School as assistant principal. City of Miami Beach Commissioner Michael Greico issued her a proclamation for her hard work and service.
The judges were Business Coach Marlene Greene, Chamber Chairman Michael S. Goldberg, Private Banker for Gibraltar Private Bank & Trust Maria Paulsen, from the committee for Quality of Education Beth Edwards, Realtor for Compass Seth Feuer and Chamber Pillar Board Chair Madeleine Romanello.
The title sponsor was FPL and presenting sponsors were Mango’s Tropical Café, 84 West Events, K’Alma Spa, Office Depot-Office Max, Pizza Rustica, Atlantic Broadband and Dr. Ino Halegua from the Cardiology Center.