Kendall Regional Medical Center has received the Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence AwardTM. This distinction places Kendall Regional Medical Center among the top five percent of all short-term acute care hospitals reporting patient safety data as evaluated by Healthgrades the leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals.
During the study period, Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipient hospitals demonstrated excellent performance in safety provided for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) for 14 patient safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, as compared to patients at non-recipients hospitals, on average*:
• 55.9% less likely to experience an accidental cut, puncture, perforation or hemorrhage during medical care.
• 50.9% less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest.
• 64.4% less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital.
• 57% less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital.
In addition, if all hospitals in the country performed at the level of award recipients for each of the 14 Patient Safety Indicators, 127,667 patient safety events could have been avoided.*
“Kendall Regional is proud to have consistently been recognized as a top hospital in patient safety for many years,” said Brandon Haushalter, CEO, Kendall Regional. “This most recent recognition from Healthgrades is a continued validation of the incredible work our team of professionals do for our patients every single day.”
Kendall Regional Medical Center has received numerous awards and recognitions. Some of their Quality Achievements include:
• Named Among one of the Top 250 Best Hospitals in the Nation for Clinical Quality (2019)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 3 Years in a Row (2017-2019)
• Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019)
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 9 Years in a Row (2011-2019)
• Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 8 Years in a Row (2012-2019)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for 3 Years in a Row (2017-2019)
• Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for General Surgery in 2019
• Five-Star Recipient for Gynecologic Procedures for 8 Years in a Row (2011-2018)
• Recognized by Healthgrades in 2018 for Superior Performance in Labor and Delivery
Kendall Regional Medical Center, an award-winning 417-bed hospital, is recognized for providing a wide array of services to the residents of South Florida, as well as visitors from around the world. They offer 24-hour comprehensive medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including trauma and burn care, pediatrics and maternity services, an orthopedic and spine institute, along with patient and community services.
For over 45 years, KRMC has been committed to expanding and improving every facet of the organization, devoting significant time and resources to enhancing the facility, staff and medical care. KRMC has grown into a major tertiary-care teaching facility, with an outstanding staff that includes more than 1,000 physicians and specialists and over 1,800 employees, all of whom place importance in making our patients feel welcome and comfortable. For more information visit www.kendallmed.com or call 305-222-2200.
ABOUT HCA EAST FLORIDA
KRMC is a facility of HCA East Florida. HCA East Florida is the largest healthcare system in Eastern Florida and an affiliate of Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). HCA East Florida has 15 hospitals, multiple ambulatory surgery centers, physician practices, imaging centers, and free standing emergency care facilities, as well as a supply chain center and an integrated regional lab. Together, HCA East Florida employs more than 18,000 employees and has nearly 7,000 physicians on staff. For information, visit HCAEastFlorida.com.