Thousands of Miami-Dade families will connect with hundreds of exhibitors
showcasing health and social services while enjoying live performances, storybook characters, all-day giveaways and more!!
WHAT: The Children’s Trust annual Family Expo, a FREE, all-day festival providing family-friendly activities and direct access to educational, health and social services in a fun, carnival-like atmosphere covering more than 128,000 square feet. It is the largest free event of its kind in Miami-Dade County, with crowds exceeding 20,000 in previous years.
This year’s event features an interactive booth hosted by HistoryMiami that marks the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew with do-it-yourself radar images; a study of cloud formations; hurricane preparedness kits; and a look at the swirling vortices of tornadoes. Families will also find nearly 250 other exhibitors, live entertainment and children’s theatrical presentations, bounce houses, puppeteers, face painting, balloon sculptors, stilt walkers, magicians, and beloved storybook and television characters, like Maisy, Llama Llama, Elephant & Piggie, Geronimo Stilton, and Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer. Sign language interpreters will be on-site throughout the event.
Additional Expo highlights:
- NEW! HistoryMiami will also provide a special takeaway art activity focused on its permanent Buena Vista Trolley exhibit, giving Expogoers a glimpse of Miami’s storied past.
- NEW! Homestead-Miami Speedway will zip in with a real race car and lots of giveaways.
- NEW! Code Explorers Tech Zone will expose kids to computer coding.
- NEW! Free hourly raffles for big-ticket items and passes to the new Frost Museum of Science will kick up the excitement even higher!
- NEW! Baptist Health offers Zumba, yoga, a giant game of Twister, health and wellness tips, and lots of freebies.
- New! Colgate interactive oral health awareness takes the dread out of going to the dentist.
- NEW! Miami-Dade County Public Library System will showcase a display of nautical-themed children’s books alongside a live mermaid statue.
- Read to Learn Book Fair offers discounted children’s books and enrollment in the Read to Learn Book Club, story time and more.
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools offers a boulevard of information about magnet schools, parent engagement programs, adult education classes and more.
- Miami Herald Spelling Bee gives kids a chance to test their skills and reach for greater academic heights.
- Sports and Fitness fun will be available via tennis, rock climbing and other athletic activities and demonstrations.
WHO: The Children’s Trust, a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County by making strategic investments in their futures.
WHEN: Saturday, October 21, 2017, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
WHERE: Miami-Dade County Fair & Exposition Center, Arnold Hall and Fuchs Pavilion, 10901 Coral Way (SW 24th Street); entrances at 109th and 112th Avenues; parking is FREE!
For more information about The Children’s Trust Family Expo, visit www.thechildrenstrust.org or call 211. Admission, parking and all activities and entertainment are FREE. Food and beverages will be available for sale on-site. Sponsors include Baptist Health South Florida, Miami Herald and Miami-Dade County Public Schools.