Kendall Regional Medical Center recently announced that it is a recipient of the Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award.
This distinction places Kendall Regional Medical Center among the top 5 percent of all short-term acute care hospitals reporting patient safety data as evaluated by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals.
During the study period, Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipient hospitals demonstrated excellent performance in safety provided for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) for 14 patient safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, as compared to patients at non-recipients hospitals, on average:
• 55.9 percent less likely to experience an accidental cut, puncture, perforation or hemorrhage during medical care;
• 50.9 percent less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest;
• 64.4 perceng less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital, and
• 57 percent less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital.
In addition, if all hospitals in the country performed at the level of award recipients for each of the 14 Patient Safety Indicators, 127,667 patient safety events could have been avoided.
“Kendall Regional is proud to have consistently been recognized as a top hospital in patient safety for many years,” said Brandon Haushalter, CEO, Kendall Regional. “This most recent recognition from Healthgrades is a continued validation of the incredible work our team of professionals do for our patients every single day.”
Kendall Regional Medical Center has received numerous awards and recognitions. Some of their Quality Achievements include:
• Named Among one of the Top 250 Best Hospitals in the Nation for Clinical Quality (2019);
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for Three Years in a Row (2017-19);
• Named Among the Top 5 Percent in the Nation for Joint Replacement for Four Years in a Row (2016-19);
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for Nine Years in a Row (2011-19);
• Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for Eight Years in a Row (2012-19);
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for Three Years in a Row (2017-19);
• Named Among the Top 5 Percent in the Nation for General Surgery in 2019;
• Five-Star Recipient for Gynecologic Procedures for Eight Years in a Row (2011-18), and
• Recognized by Healthgrades in 2018 for Superior Performance in Labor and Delivery.
Kendall Regional Medical Center, an award-winning 417-bed hospital, is recognized for providing a wide array of services to the residents of South Florida, as well as visitors from around the world. It offers 24-hour comprehensive medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including trauma and burn care, pediatrics and maternity services, an orthopedic and spine institute, along with patient and community services. For more information visit www.kendallmed.com or call 305-222-2200.