Virtual Greetings! I want to give you some updates regarding some upcoming Chamber programming and provide a recap of events that occurred in the month of July. Also, I just want to remind you that our chamber staff, council chairs and board members are here to help you with anything you may need.
I’m excited to announce that we have started a weekly virtual chat with Mayor Dan Gelber that is occurring every Tuesday at 9 am and lasts about 15 to 20 min. We’ve had two already and they have been a huge success! With so much occurring in our City on a daily basis it’s good to check in with our mayor as he updates on everything that is happening in our community at the start of the week. You can view this event via the Chamber’s Facebook page or contact the Chamber to receive the zoom meeting information. I want to thank our Mayor for being so accessible and gracious with his time for us.
I’m also thrilled to say that the Chamber has received over 70 applications for our Badass Women of the Year Awards! We have extended the deadline to August 30 and looking for nominees that are in construction/trades, military/first responders, science/tech and sports. The point of the program is to honor exceptional women in industries that are traditionally dominated by males and that are making a difference in their field. I’d like to thank our committee DeAnne Connolly Graham, Mirielle Enlow, Isabel Fernandez and Tori Greene for their efforts and for being badass women themselves.
Like we previously mentioned, the Chamber is organizing a cook book, which is almost complete. We have close to 40 fabulous recipes that range in cuisine with a few cocktails mixed in as well. The idea behind the book is simple – we reached out to top Chefs who were willing to send in their favorite recipes, which we are compiling into a fabulous book.
Anyone who makes a $50 donation or more to the Chamber’s Education Foundation will receive the book. The Education Foundation will be donating 100% of the proceeds from both programs to the Miami-Dade County School Board for the purchase of gift cards at Publix to be distributed to the families in need. This is an existing program called Project Upstart and it is administered under Alberto Carvalho’s office. We will also urge that the Chefs share the information about the project with their own followers and ask them to consider making a $50 donation to help feed the kids in our community. As a thank you to the Chefs that participate, the Chamber will make a donation of $10,000 in the name of the Chef who has helped us collect the most amount of donations and an additional $5,000 in the name of the Chef that comes in second.
The staff while working remotely has consistently produced outstanding webinars for its council meetings. I want to highlight the meetings we had this month:
• Women’s Business Council (Chaired by DeAnne Connolly Graham) hosted the Pillar Board’s Vice Chair Leila Chang who spoke about maximizing your LinkedIn profile.
• Health & Wellness (Chaired by Dr. Lynn Carey) had an insightful meeting with Jorge Loyo from Primerca about the financial side of health and wellness.
• The Tourism Council (Co-chaired by Ceci Velasco and Chris Rollins) hosted their quarterly briefing with the Miami Beach Visitor & Convention Authority, Greater Miami Convention & Visitor’s Bureau and the City of Miami Beach.
• The Real Estate Council (Co-chaired by Mirielle Enlow and Mario Stocco) had an insightful conversation with Chamber Board Member Lyle Stern about the state of commercial real estate.
• The Construction and Development Council (Chaired by Mark Gemignani) hosted COO of the Galbut Family Office Andrew Frey who spoke about upcoming projects that are occurring all over the City.
• In partnership with Books & Books, the Chamber hosted its quarterly “Between the Business Book Covers” (Chaired by Melissa Rubin), which included a conversation moderated by Board Member Reinaldo Borges with author Alejandro Ariza about his book “Disposable City: Miami’s Future on the Shores of Climate Change.”
• The Pillar Board (Chaired by Seth Feuer) ended the month with a strategic networking event with Arathi Ramappa and Marina Elliot. I also want to congratulate our Pillar Board who won our virtual trivia night and beat our Executive Board and Board of Governors. It was such a fun evening and I would like to thank Jeff Greene for hosting it.
Please visit www.miamibeachchamber.com and click on our “Virtual Events” link to see all the amazing programming we have going on in August as well as other useful information regarding our Badass Women event. We will continue to stay relevant and serve the community at large. If you have any questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.