Did you know heating can cost 2-3 times more than cooling? At FPL, we’re always working to keep your bills low, and helping you find ways to make them even lower. This winter, use energy wisely when the temperature drops. Here are some ways to save energy and money while keeping warm:
- Set your heat to 68 degrees with the fan set to “auto” and turn the heat off when you leave.
- Clean or replace your A/C filter every month.
- Seal doors and windows with weather-stripping or caulk to keep warm air from escaping.
- Heat your home with the sun by keeping your south-facing windows clean. Open curtains on south-facing windows during the day and close all curtains at night.
- Keep your water heater temperature around 115 to 120
- Reduce the time you run your pool pump by two hours a day and you could save up to $8.21 per month.
Stay safe when heating your home, especially when using space heaters. Remember to:
- Only use space heaters for limited amounts of time and not as a primary heat source.
- Direct space heaters to warm people, not space.
- Keep flammable materials and furniture at least three feet away from the heater.
- Keep space heaters away from children and pets.
- Keep space heaters away from water to avoid electric shock.
- Turn off and unplug the heater when leaving the room for an extended period of time.
- Avoid using extension cords.