’10 Race for the Cure attracts record number of participants

By Ana Marquez….

Unidentified runner and breast cancer survivor celebrates crossing the finish line in this year’s Race for the Cure.

The Miami/Fort Lauderdale Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure recently announced that this year’s Race for the Cure set a record for the most participants with 21,262 individuals, including more than 1,000 breast cancer survivors, taking part.

This is the highest number of entrants since the affiliate starting hosting the race in 1996. During the past three years it has seen steady growth, gaining more than 1,000 racers each year.

In keeping with Komen guidelines, 75 percent of the net proceeds raised stay in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties to support education, screening and treatment in underserved communities. The remaining 25 percent is pooled with money raised by other Komen affiliates for national research grants.

Just this year, Susan G. Komen for the Cure awarded the University of Miami $600,000 to conduct research to find a potential vaccine that would elicit immune responses to reverse cancer progression.

“The support we have received from the South Florida community will allow us to continue to expand our ongoing educational outreach and screening programs in Miami-Dade, Broward and the Florida Keys,” said Bobbi Meyers, executive director for Susan G. Komen Miami/Fort Lauderdale Affiliate.  “We are expecting to exceed the $1.4 million raised last year. This money will bring us one step closer to our vision of a world without breast cancer.”

Since its inception in 1996, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Race For the Cure and the Affiliate have raised more than $10 million and reached hundreds of thousands of women and men through educational outreach. The Affiliate now is accepting sponsors for the 2011 Miami/Fort Lauderdale Race for the Cure scheduled to take place on Saturday, Oct. 15, at Bayfront Park in Miami.

For additional information or to volunteer, call 305-383-7116 or visit online at www.komenmiaftl.org.

Connect To Your Customers & Grow Your Business

Click Here

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Be the first to comment on "’10 Race for the Cure attracts record number of participants"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.