The City of West Park’s 2020 College Scholarship is open to all high school seniors who reside in West Park during their senior year of high school and students attending a two or four-year college, university or vocational school in the U.S. Scholarship awards will be based on the number of applicants.
ALL Applicants must submit the following items:
• Complete (type or print) and sign the attached application in its entirety.
• Submit a typed essay, double-spaced, with a maximum of 500 words.
***See list of essay topics below.
• Provide two letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be provided by a school official on school letterhead, with numbered pages.
• Provide an official or unofficial high school, college, or university transcript.
• Community service hours must be shown on the transcript.
ESSAY TOPICS (CHOOSE ONE):
*** Students must type their names at the top of each page of their essays along with the essay title chosen and the word count.
1. Discuss an issue of local concern. Why is this issue important to you? How do you think it should be addressed?
2. Academic excellence and community service the importance of each in making my community and/or the world a better place.
3. Share an experience, through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the university you wish to attend.
4. Take a quote of a famous person and explain what it means to you.
The recipients selected will receive a scholarship award from $1,500-$2,000. The selection criteria are as follows:
• Students must be eligible for graduation with a standard diploma from a high school or currently enrolled at a college or university.
• Students must have a minimum 3.0 unweighted cumulative GPA out of 4.0 at the time of application
The student must demonstrate community involvement and/or participation in school activities (i.e., sports, student government, journalism, service clubs, band, drama, etc.)
• The student MUST be a West Park resident.
Students must submit proof of permanent residency in the City of West Park along with application and essay. Acceptable proofs of residency may include:
Government issued picture ID with applicant’s address. The ID must have been issued at least 6 months before the application due date.
A school official record, dated at least 6 months before the application due date that shows the applicant’s address.
Vehicle registration, title or insurance, issued at least 6 months before the application due date, showing the applicant’s address.
Scholarships are to be used for tuition, room, board and/or books, which will be payable to the educational institution the student will be attending or the college or university the student currently attends. Upon notification of receiving a scholarship, applicants must provide a copy of an acceptance letter from the educational institution he/she will be or is currently attending for the 2020-2021 school year. Scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to the educational institution.
DEADLINE: Application packets are due by FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2020.
All entries must be delivered no later than FRIDAY, MAY 29 2020 by 4:00PM to:
City of West Park
1965 South State Road 7, West Park, FL 33023
All application packets must be complete to be qualified.