The Broward Sheriff’s Office wishes everyone a fun and safe summer!
With the summer comes a time where many of our children are home, participating in summer camps, swimming in pools and, generally, spending time together as a family. Keeping our children safe is a priority. We have attached a flyer with a few helpful tips to ensure our kids are kept safe this summer break. Summer is also known for the time we take pause to celebrate our nation’s independence. Unfortunately every year Broward County finds a handful of its citizens suffering avoidable harm in relation to fireworks. To help make ensure your safety, here are some helpful tips.
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
• Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
• A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities.
Never give fireworks to children!
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
• Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
• Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
• Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a
bucket of water.
• Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
• Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL
or GLASS containers.
• Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
• Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal
trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
• Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or
In the month of August, we would like to encourage everyone to participate in the BSO / West Park National Night Out Against Crime, which is scheduled for Tuesday, August 8th at the Mary Saunders Park. It will be a great opportunity for the community to come together while enjoying entertainment, music and good company.
Lastly, I would like to wish all of the children a safe return to school on August 14th. Our deputies will be at the school zones to ensure the welfare of our local kids. Wishing each of you well!